[aprssig] d-700 and icons

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Nov 1 13:48:44 EDT 2010

> Bob has been promoting the idea of putting
> various icons on the email clients so that
> d-700  mobiles can see what is going on in
> area.... I decided to put our 2 repeater
> icons in ui-view and xastir...

While I am pleased that you are taking the initiative for your
area, I would re-phrase what I am saying as promoting "putting
various frequency objects"... (not ICONS)

And nowhere am I promoting the use of Clients (APRS or "email")
to do the same.  In fact, I warn quite heavily against putting
these objects in "clients" for many reasons:

1) They use the client's path and SPAM huge surrounding areas.
2) the Client radios cannot hear the other 98% of users and so
have a 98% probobility of usually colliding witho someone else
and blocking them
3) The clients have to digipeat, thus HALVING local channel
capactiy.

Where as doing it the ONLY way I receommend is at the Digipeater
where:
1) There is no path, the packet is DIRECT
2) The DIGI can hear 100% of all channel loading and will not
insert the packet unless the channel is clear (zero impact on
channel loading)...
3) Being DIRECT, only one slot time is used.

The DIFERENCE is night-and-day with respect to channel loading
and user collisions and SPAM.
Again, I am glad you are taking this initiative, but please get
in touch with the local DIGI sysop and get them added up there
where they should be.

And then check ALL OTHER surrounding digi's, and their owners
and make sure that every such digi is beaconing its locallly
receommended voice frequencies, Echo/IRLP nodes and meetings and
nets...

Please see www.aprs.org/localinfo.html

Bob, Wb4APR
 However, none of the icons