[aprssig] d-700 and icons

Gregg Wonderly gregg at wonderly.org
Mon Nov 8 10:04:42 EST 2010

On 11/1/2010 6:19 PM, Keith VE7GDH wrote:
> The names aren't unique, but that's only
> apparent on the APRS-IS, and of course, it's on RF that they are
> really useful.

Based on Bob's recommendation to send these objects direct from the repeater
site itself, they should most likely not end up in the APRS-IS unless heard
direct by an I-Gate.  So it will be a mix of some there and some not.

Applications connecting to the APRS-IS and using large area or "objects-only"
kinds of filtering, will in fact see these objects jump around on the map,
making it difficult to use APRS-IS information as a "planning" guide for
frequency use.

Gregg Wonderly
W5GGW