[aprssig] HF APRS new ideas

Richard Hoskin vk3jfk at wia.org.au
Mon May 31 22:34:49 EDT 2010

Bob,

Here in Australia we have a number of HF Gates that Gate to VHF and that are
NOT connected directly to an IGate. This will not change in the future.

I would think that there are still a number of countries where broadband
internet is not readily available and it may take an HF to VHF Gate to get
the APRS data to the APRS-IS.

I would suggest that your idea be taken on a country by country (case by
case). But then this would reduce reliability of the HF network as it is a
global network.

We often see HF APRS posits from the US and Europe received and gated
through Australia. The reverse is also true.

Cheers
Richard
VK3JFK