[aprssig] HF APRS new ideas

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Mon May 31 18:34:54 EDT 2010

Bob WB4APR wrote...

> APRS needs two-way IGates in order for the network to deliver
> messages to mobiles. Without two-way, then the network is broken.
> However, we also do not want multiple two-way IGates transmitting
> the same message to the mobile who will hear a collision.

Like on VHF, impossible to achieve, but with FM, there is the
possibility that the FM capture effect would often give a reasonable
chance of decoding the message. On SSB, it would be less likely.

> What we need are SMART HF 2-way IGates that will ONLY
> consider themselves to be the "local" IGate for relaying that message
> if and only if IT heard the mobile in say...the last say 10 minutes.

With UI-View that would be as easy as setting the expire time to 10
minutes, but if multiple IGates heard the mobile station's last beacon...

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH