[aprssig] HF APRS new ideas

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon May 31 18:17:11 EDT 2010

As lynn says below... it aint easy and there is no obvious algorithm that would let individual IGates know if they are in the best place to be the local IS=>RF IGate of a particular station...

Its almost as if ALL the HF igates have to talk to each other and VOTE on who has the best signal and so who should be the IS-to-RF igate for a particular packet.  Then we'd have to have all the HF Igates logged onto a special server maybe...

Each Igate would report its packets-per-hour heard from each HF mobile station over the last hour (after each packet heard).  The one with the highest score would be the reverse IGate for the next packet that needs to go back to RF.

So mobile HF users might need to register with the system so the system would know who out of the 40,000 APRS users these statistics are needed on.

In any case, I'm ready to declare the HF path of GATE,WIDE2-1 obsolete in light of the stability of the APRS-IS.  Can everyone agree with that?

Bob, WB4APR