[aprssig] new IGate software

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Sun May 30 19:34:11 EDT 2010

On Sat, 29 May 2010, ke5c at hot.rr.com wrote:

> Thanks.  $LD_LIBRARY_PATH is not set, and I found many postings
> from Fedora 6 and later about why you should not set it.  I don't
> understand much of the gcc/linux build world, but apparently
> current convention disfavors (static?) linking by setting
> $LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  That it is required is further apparently due

"dynamic" linking uses LD_LIBRARY_PATH, not "static".  Static
linking is where you make the library part of the final executable.
It's not used a lot.  Dynamic linking requires the loader to link
the executable with the libraries it needs as you invoke the
executable.  This is how most things are done these days.

LD_LIBRARY_PATH is used on Linux/Unix machines to tell the "ld"
loader where to find libraries.  The more usual method for dynamic
linking is to tweak the "/etc/ld.so.conf" file (human-readable
text), then run "ldconfig" as root to create the "/etc/ld.so.cache"
(not human-readable) file that "ld" uses.  I sometimes have to add
a new directory to the file, such as "/usr/local/lib" which some
distributions forget at times, then run "ldconfig" so that the
loader can find libraries there.