[aprssig] D700 and D710 settings

Gary n6lrv at cox.net
Sat May 22 00:04:48 EDT 2010

That's how Voice Alert works. If you receive a data burst while you have PL
turned on .. then someone is sending APRS data with PL ... and, if they have

VA set "properly" with the volume up .. they will be listening to your data
burst as well .. if you transmit voice on Side A .. with the PL still
selected .. they will hear you ... then you both QSY on Side B to 52 and
have a QSO.

Richard Amirault
N1JDU
http://bostonfandom.org

Yeah, I get it Richard but as anyone can see from your reply the success of
Voice Alert depends upon certain conditions being met beforehand. My point,
and I think some other too, is that while Voice Alert is a good idea it is
dependent upon all parties involved having their radios set basically the
same way. And what if there happens to be a third user beaconing nearby? No
problem as they are also welcome to reply to a QRZ call but frankly, I'm not
inclined to add voice traffic to an already flooded channel with QRZ calls.
Now that I have some practice under my belt though I'm more inclined to use
the comment tools and indicate in my packets some other frequency for voice
communication. Since the D710 scans fairly fast I find this allows me to
keep an ear on my local channels as well as scanning this voice comm
frequency. Voice Alert is a fine addition to the APRS toolbox but after
reading the emails on this reflector it clearly doesn't fit everyone's
operating preferences all the time. For that reason I suggest less promotion
of Voice Alert and more effort towards accurately and completely describing
the APRS configuration setup as a whole since Kenwood left so much out of
their manuals. I mention this because in the month or so I'm been running my
D710 based setup I've received requests for help setting up the same from a
handful of other users in my area. It seems the interest is there but the
setup still eludes some owners.
73,
Gary
N6LRV