[aprssig] D700 and D710 settings

Richard Amirault ramirault at verizon.net
Fri May 21 23:33:36 EDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gary"

(snip)
> And did you call him?  "QRZ Voice Alert!  Go 52"
>
> Nope. I'm not accustomed to making that sort of call on 2 meters. Through
> my
> trips I have found noticeable differences in communication practices on
> VHF
> between folks there vs.here in the West.
>
> and then start up a QSO?  That is the whole joy of Voice Alert...  That's
> what you do when you hear someone pass in your range..  That's usually why
> you have Voice Alert on...
>
> At the time I wasn't sure the data burst definitely meant that someone was
> passing within range of me or that they would be listening on .39.

That's how Voice Alert works. If you receive a data burst while you have PL
turned on .. then someone is sending APRS data with PL ... and, if they have
VA set "properly" with the volume up .. they will be listening to your data
burst as well .. if you transmit voice on Side A .. with the PL still
selected .. they will hear you ... then you both QSY on Side B to 52 and
have a QSO.

Richard Amirault
N1JDU
http://bostonfandom.org