[aprssig] D700 and D710 settings

Richard Amirault ramirault at verizon.net
Sat May 22 00:51:01 EDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gary"

> Yeah, I get it Richard but as anyone can see from your reply the success
> of
> Voice Alert depends upon certain conditions being met beforehand. My
> point,
> and I think some other too, is that while Voice Alert is a good idea it is
> dependent upon all parties involved having their radios set basically the
> same way. And what if there happens to be a third user beaconing nearby?
> No
> problem as they are also welcome to reply to a QRZ call but frankly, I'm
> not
> inclined to add voice traffic to an already flooded channel with QRZ
> calls.
(snip)

You are right, Voice Alert isn't for everyone. I understand how it works,
but I will never set my D-700 up to use it.

A quick, short voice call on the data channel (not even waiting for a reply)
is all that is needed. Yes, it does add to the traffic but only very little.

Richard Amirault
N1JDU
http://bostonfandom.org