[aprssig] D700 and D710 settings

Gary n6lrv at cox.net
Fri May 21 21:51:21 EDT 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Bruninga
Sent: Friday, May 21, 2010 6:10 PM
Subject: Re: [aprssig] D700 and D710 settings

With the menu item, you cannot turn it off without going through the menu
again.  I much setting 3 different 144.39 channels with CTCSS 100, No
squelch, and a PRIVATE squelch so I can quickly get anything I want.  I hate
going through layers of menus to simply turn VA on or off so I can listen
tot he channel.

I understand that is your preference Bob but it's not necessarily
everyone's. I have no problem navigating the menus and remembering where a
certain function is adjusted in fact, I find Kenwood radios easier to
navigate through the menus than the other Japanese brands.

And did you call him?  "QRZ Voice Alert!  Go 52"

Nope. I'm not accustomed to making that sort of call on 2 meters. Through my
trips I have found noticeable differences in communication practices on VHF
between folks there vs.here in the West.

and then start up a QSO?  That is the whole joy of Voice Alert...  That's
what you do when you hear someone pass in your range..  That's usually why
you have Voice Alert on...

At the time I wasn't sure the data burst definitely meant that someone was
passing within range of me or that they would be listening on .39.

All you do is select side A and key the mike and make the above voice call.
You don't have to look at the radio, you don't have to read anything, you
don't have to be distracted in anyway, just make the call, and then press
your CALL button to go directly to 52.  And have a geat simplex QSO.

Maybe, maybe not. I prefer to know who's around me (if anyone) which is why
I went the route of using the Nuvi 350 and N1VG's interface cable. What
surprised me most of all was the quantity of stations NOT beaconing a
callsign but instead some acronym, abbreviation, or other unfamiliar ID. I
was of the impression that a callsign was mandatory. I was also surprised by
how many stations I saw using a -7 SSID combined with a vehicular object. In
my view the SSID should reflect the mode of travel not the type of radio
being used.

Yes, set it to New-N paradigm, and selet WIDE1-1 ON and set hops to 2, and
that is exactly what you get... "WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1"  The radio does it all for
you and shows you the result!

My point here was the importance of providing setup instructions that
accurately reflect the menu selections. The resulting path is nothing more
than confirmation in the case of the D710.

> And what about that 'GPS' object on the D710 display?

It means the GPS is enabled...
If it is flashing, then it is working.

Through experimentation I learned what it means. My point is that its
function is not covered in the manual which poses an opportunity to trip up
a new user. Predictable is preventable.

For the record, I only saw two mobile stations who were definitely on the
highway during my 4500 mile trip. I generally monitored a 20-25 mile radius
of my position. I am pleased to report though that there was good digipeater
coverage throughout my trip except on the eastern portion of interstate 40
in AZ and the central portion of interstate 44 north of OKC but south of
Tulsa, OK. The remaining areas seemed to have good coverage so next time
I'll try a setting of 2 hops vs. 3 which I used on this trip. I used 3 this
time because I wasn't sure what the digi coverage would be like in the rural
interstate areas.

73,
Gary
N6LRV