[aprssig] D700 and D710 settings

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri May 21 21:10:13 EDT 2010

> When setting up a memory channel for 144.39 simplex
> with a 100Hz CTCSS tone I seem to get the same
> result as turning on the Voice Alert menu item ...
> with the same PL so what's the difference?

With the menu item, you cannot turn it off without going through the menu again.  I much setting 3 different 144.39 channels with CTCSS 100, No squelch, and a PRIVATE squelch so I can quickly get anything I want.  I hate going through layers of menus to simply turn VA on or off so I can listen tot he channel.

> driving 'round trip to Dayton from California
> with Voice Alert ON (100PL) and I never heard anything
> except the occasional data burst break
> presumably from a nearby APRS station transmitting
> with a 100Hz PL...

And did you call him?  "QRZ Voice Alert!  Go 52"

and then start up a QSO?  That is the whole joy of Voice Alert...  That's what you do when you hear someone pass in your range..  That's usually why you have Voice Alert on...

> but I don't know which one because my attention
> was focused where in should be, on driving.

All you do is select side A and key the mike and make the above voice call.  You don't have to look at the radio, you don't have to read anything, you don't have to be distracted in anyway, just make the call, and then press your CALL button to go directly to 52.  And have a geat simplex QSO.

> I agree with the concept of Voice Alert but
> it's in the manuals where information is lacking.

You are right, there is nothing at all different than setting CTCSS 100 on the APRS band than setting "VA" menu..  But since the D700 radio has been out 10 years and eveyone complains that Voice Alert is not in the manual, and is not a built-in feature (it is so powerful) I asked Kenwood to ADD it to a MENU in the D710 so people could find it in the manual.  But their implementation from a MENU cannot be turned off without another menu change, I find too cumbersome.

So I recommend not using the MENU VA version.  Just set CTCSS 100 in one memory, no-squelch in another, and the private CTCSS in a third.  That way you can do VA, or Monitor by ear, or hear NOTHING, or have a private calling funtion, just by changing channels.

> Another point would be your comment in your new
> D710-setup file where you suggest setting a path of
> wide1-1, wide 2-1 yet I'm sure you know that the
> D710 does not allow the user to set the path but
> instead to set the number of hops then the radio
> decides the path.

Yes, set it to New-N paradigm, and selet WIDE1-1 ON and set hops to 2, and that is exactly what you get... "WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1"  The radio does it all for you and shows you the result!

> And what about that 'GPS' object on the D710 display?

It means the GPS is enabled...
If it is flashing, then it is working.

Thanks for the notes on the typos.
Ill try to fix them.