[aprssig] Beta-quality APRS device statistics

Heikki Hannikainen hessu at hes.iki.fi
Wed May 19 15:52:15 EDT 2010

On Wed, 19 May 2010, Jason Rausch wrote:

> I noticed that the HamHUD TOCALL APRHH2 shows up in the TOCALL list, but
> does not show up in the % of use list (first list).  I am wondering what
> we are missing in our reporting that is causing them not to show up.

Which list is it on? This is the one I referenced:

http://aprs.org/aprs11/tocalls.txt

It's not there, so I couldn't add it in the DeviceID module initially.

Looking at the aprs.fi database, there have been a total of 6 stations
using the APRHH2 dstcall during the past 365 days. If your device sends
mic-e packets (so that the dstcalls vary heavily) and there is no specific
mic-e type code attached, the devices can't be identified. There are 39
additional stations with dstcall of APHH2. Which one is yours, or both?

> Also, all RTrak hardware uses the OpenTracker 1+ TOCALL, so I would like
> to think there is a small percentage of trackers that are reporting as
> OpenTrackers are actually RTrak hardware.

Yup. This is how the thing works, it's really tracking software, not
hardware. It doesn't distinquish between a Dell and Supermicro running
aprsd, either. :)

>  Until I can convince Scott to give the RTrak firmware a different
> TOCALL, it will have to be that way.  I would like to use somthing such
> as APRRT1, APRRT2, ect.

Since it's open source, I suppose you could rebuild the software with the
different TOCALL. But that'd be quite a lot of extra maintenance to
rebuild the new versions, and the config programs to download the right
upgrades, etc.

   - Hessu