[aprssig] Beta-quality APRS device statistics

Heikki Hannikainen hessu at hes.iki.fi
Wed May 19 15:29:54 EDT 2010

On Wed, 19 May 2010, Stephen H. Smith wrote:

>   * New destination of "APSK63" is being generated by the APRS
>     Messenger  APRS-over-PSK63 program now being increasingly used on
>     30 meters HF.    Full details on this new APRS mode here:

Thanks, I've added it in the code now together with a couple of others
which were not listed in Bob's list. It seems to support the more
traditional TNC approaches too, what dstcalls does it use in that case?
Still APSK63?

It would be very, very nice and good if people developing new applications
would do their destination callsign registrations (or ask for mic-e type
codes) with Bob, so that statistics like this would be easier to get
right.

>   * APTIGR is used by Tigertronics Tigertrack tracker (device similar
>     to a TinyTrack).  I have used one on on 30M HF conventional AX.25
>     FSK  APRS for about 7 years now.

Hm, there are no stations with that dstcall in my database, which contains
over a year of data. Are you sure about this one?

> If your statistics are even remotely correct, it's interesting to note that
> the top 10 originators of APRS packets by vendors are HARDWARE devices
> (trackers, Kenwood radios, etc), rather than computer programs, with the
> exception of UIview and "Open Source" (which I presume means Xastir)..

I suppose they're remotely correct. Open Source includes a number of
projects, which are shown in the 'model' list above the 'vendor' list. The
most popular one being Xastir, but the rest make up for more than 50% of
that "vendor" (HaMDR, aprsd, aprs4r, aprsdroid).

> I'm guessing the vast majority of users are now moving to hardware-only
> sources, probably overwhelmingly transmit-only.  I would further posit that
> these same users are probably using the Internet sites findu, APRS.fi, etc)
> to see the results of their transmissions, rather than run local software for
> off-the-air receive.

You're probably right (even if Bob would not like it). The kenwoods and
the Yaesus, of which there are plenty in the top ten, are
messaging-capable. I hope the new ones are more comfortable to use for
that purpose.

   - Hessu