[aprssig] Beta-quality APRS device statistics

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Wed May 19 16:30:56 EDT 2010

Robert Bruninga wrote:
> I think I have to disagree with your conclusions...
>

>> the top 10 originators of APRS packets... are HARDWARE
>> devices (trackers, Kenwood radios, etc), rather than
>> computer programs, with the exception of UIview and
>> "Open Source" (which I presume means Xastir)..
>>
>> hardware... probably overwhelmingly transmit-only.
>>

> Quite false.  Look at the numbers.  Two-way APRS radios dominate
> the hardware applications by far.

1)   They are still HARDWARE devices, usually running autonomously of
any fully-interactive APRS software.

2)   As I previously commented, IN REALITY, they are mostly being used
as one-way devices.

>> (In my experience, even the potentially two-way hardware
>> devices like Kenwood radios, are used mainly as self-
>> contained plug-and-play transmit-only trackers.
>>

> I disagree.  The value of APRS to the operator is what he can
> receive and see on his front panel, not what he transmitts
> blindly to a world who could care less.

You can say that all you want, but in reality the vast majority *ARE*
using it as a one-way  transmit-only  AVL system in the real world with
the Internet being the user interface.

>> Interactive messaging on these devices is just
>> too clunky and distracting to use in a mobile
>> environment.)
>>

> I disagree completely if the radio is propelry set up.  Most
> people I run into have never set up their radios properly so
> that the APRS hot buttons are always active.  If they keep the
> APRS functionality burried down 3 layers in the menus, of course
> it is clunky.  But the most important setting is
> RADIO-DISPLAY-KEYFUNCTION 3, then every APRS function is on the
> front panel always and is only one hot key away.

1)     In my experience, the majority of the ham population is so
befuddled by the layers of menus and configuration options in  modern
radios that they never figure out how to set them.   One radio club I
attend actually has one monthly meeting each year devoted to
"programming radios"; i.e. navigating menu options.

2)     Even if the APRS buttons are placed front and center (which then
makes the more routine radio functions like TX power, PL tones, etc a
pain to get at), the first lines of the transmissions scroll off the
bottom of the list so fast (at least around here)  that unless you look
at the screen almost constantly, you miss most of this "travellers'
info".    The only way I notice travellers' info is seeing icons and
callsigns appearing and remaining on the mapping display on my laptop so
that when I glance at the laptop 30 seconds or a couple of minutes
later, the info is still in view.

2)     Trying to compose a reply to a message with dozens or hundreds of
pushes of buttons on a touch-tone mic while driving is absurd.   [I do
occasionally respond to messages on the mobile laptop where I have a
proper full keyboard.  Especially on 30M HF while I on the open road in
the vast expanses of the interior west where the nearest other vehicle
is a half-mile away. And yes, I think text messaging on cell phones is a
stupid exercise in keyboard masochism too - I never respond to one
unless I have my phone tethered to my laptop with something resembling a
real keyboard.]

>> In other words, like it or not, APRS *has* become
>> primarily an AVL system.
>>

> Which is a dead end.  And offers little value to the owner or
> operator or traveler.
I didn't say it was good or bad.  I just said It's the *REALITY OF  WHAT
IS HAPPENING*.   Apparently it *DOES* have value to the owner since
people are expending considerable time, effort and money equipping
vehicles, aircraft, boats, motorcycles, etc with dumb transmit-only
trackers like the VHS Microtrak All-In-One,  so that their
family/friends/buddies whatever can see where they are on the Internet.

>> One class of stations that would seem to "fall through
>> the cracks" in this analysis is Kenwood radios connected
>> to mapping GPSes like the AVmap, or Tracker 2s connected
>> to Garmin Nuvis that would appear to be only trackers,
>> but ARE capable of full mapping displays or even
>> interactive messaging.
>>

> And the locations of these LOCALINFO objects such as the
> travelers voice repeater and echolink nodes WILL SHOW up on
> these maps too!  Its right there on the screen.

I DIDN'T SAY or IMPLY OBJECTS WOULDN'T SHOW ON THESE MAPS.

That is beside the point.  I was commenting on the statistical dilemma
of not knowing whether a  Kenwood 7xx radio or a Tracker 2 was
functionally a transmit-only tracker, or had fully-interactive
mapping/messaging functionally equivalent to a mobile laptop.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

NEW!    *** HF APRS over PSK63 ***
   http://wa8lmf.net/APRS_PSK63/index.htm

Universal HF/VHF/UHF Antenna Mounting System
  http://wa8lmf.net/mobile/UniversalAntMountSystem.htm

  http://wa8lmf.net/DigiPaths