[aprssig] D710 Whack-A-Mole!

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon May 17 14:39:16 EDT 2010

D710 Frequency Whack a Mole:

We need everyone with a D710 to help mentor their fellow hams!

After driving 1000 miles with 20,000 mobiles to/from Dayton
during the busiest APRS mobile days of the year, it is
frustrating to see MOST of the D710 mobiles on the front panel
and only 1 or 2 actually transmitting their voice frequency of
their Band-B!   This auto-identification of  your voice
monitoring channel is the number 1 new feature of APRS this
decade, and somehow the point just is not getting across.  The
point of APRS is to facilitate communications for the traveler,
this voice frequency annunciation and auto-tune is fundamental
to this initiative.  Im glad to see the Yaesu FTM-35o's starting
to transmit their frequencies now too...

Further, after passing DOZENS of D700, or D710's and completely
unable to contact them without HONKING THE HORN AT THEM, it is
equally frustrating not to be able to raise them on Voice Alert.
Unless they are looking right at you when you pass and see you
waving the mic and flashing 52 (or other appendage), they are
basically unreachable.

Please take a PERSONAL initiative to mentor your fellow
operators.  I suggest the following WHACK-A-MOLE approach by
pre-loading these few mentoring messages into your D710 PHRASE
memories.  Then you can send these messages with just a few key
presses.  When you see sonmeone that needs mentoring, simply
select them on the list, press MSG, press FUNCTION, and selct
any of your 5 pre-loaded MENTOIRING Phrases.

PHRASE 1: for clueless D710 operators:

"Ur D710 not TXing ur Voice Freq.  Pse consider STATUS #5, every
1/1."

PHRASE 2:. For anyone with their freq in wrong format:

"Ur Freq in ur BCON is not in auto-tune format.  Pse Google APRS
LOCALINFO"

PHRASE 3: For anyone with a 2-way APRS not reachable on Voice
Alert:

"Are you monitoring CTCS100 Voice Alert on 144.39?

PHRASE 4: For D700 users who do not have APRS hot buttons on
top:

"Activate D700 APRS Hot buttons under RADIO-DISPLAY-MODE-3. &
save it.

Good luck.  If we don't help them, who will???

Bob, Wb4APR