[aprssig] APRN status?

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sat Mar 27 18:50:25 EDT 2010

Joel Maslak (N7XUC) wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 12:54 PM, Stephen H. Smith <wa8lmf2 at aol.com
> <mailto:wa8lmf2 at aol.com>> wrote:
>
>     Due to the complex DSP required to process the multiple QAM tones
>     in  real time, about the minimum PC that will run EasyPal is a
>     700-800 MHz P-III with a true-hardware-based soundcard; i.e. not a
>     "brain-dead" software-based motherboard el cheapo sound system.
>     It MAY be possible to get the highest-powered netbooks, now that
>     their processors are pushing 1.5 GHz, to run EasyPal, but I
>     haven't had the chance to try this yet.
>

> I wonder if an iPhone would work...has a camera, screen, and audio
> in/out interface...
>
> I'll have to do some thinking.  But it would be a handy "field" device
> to use for capturing a picture and displaying received pictures via
> radio.  And costs of an iPhone (particularly a used one without cell
> service) aren't all that different from what the Kenwood box goes for.

There are three separate issues here:

1)      Currently the proprietary EasyPal program is exclusively a
Windows thing.   EasyPal uses a varient of the DRM (Digital Radio
Mondiale -- not "Digital Rights Management) compression/modulation
format developed for digital shortwave broadcasting.   If one could gain
access to the details of the transmission format, possibly it could be
duplicated on other platforms.     [Details on the older analog SSTV
formats are all over the web but somewhat conflicting.]

2)     Does the iPhone have enough CPU "horsepower" to decode the
multiple QAM audio subcarriers in real time?     From a platform
stand-point, it sounds ideal given the built-in hardware --IF-- the CPU
is fast enough.    How decent is the iPhone's camera?   Does it overload
and wash out in daylight?

3)     The cost differential is academic -- the Kenwood is no longer
available.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

NEW!    Universal HF/VHF/UHF Antenna Mounting System
  http://wa8lmf.net/mobile/UniversalAntMountSystem.htm

  http://wa8lmf.net/DigiPaths

Symbols Set for UI-View,
UIpoint and APRSplus: