[aprssig] APRN status?

Joel Maslak (N7XUC) jmaslak-aprs at antelope.net
Sat Mar 27 18:36:32 EDT 2010

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 12:54 PM, Stephen H. Smith <wa8lmf2 at aol.com> wrote:

Due to the complex DSP required to process the multiple QAM tones in  real
> time, about the minimum PC that will run EasyPal is a 700-800 MHz P-III with
> a true-hardware-based soundcard; i.e. not a "brain-dead" software-based
> motherboard el cheapo sound system.  It MAY be possible to get the
> highest-powered netbooks, now that their processors are pushing 1.5 GHz, to
> run EasyPal, but I haven't had the chance to try this yet.

I wonder if an iPhone would work...has a camera, screen, and audio in/out
interface...

I'll have to do some thinking.  But it would be a handy "field" device to
use for capturing a picture and displaying received pictures via radio.  And
costs of an iPhone (particularly a used one without cell service) aren't all
that different from what the Kenwood box goes for.