[aprssig] APRN status?

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Mar 26 15:52:07 EDT 2010

APRN?

I don't know if  anyone ever built and shared an APRN site.  I
still think the concept is dynomyte.  http://aprs.org/aprn.html

Idea was to TAG  SSTV images (could be JPEG or anything that can
be easily transmitted over ham radio to an APRN web site).  The
whole idea is to have an RF and electronic means to TAG where
the photo was tken, by whom, and some text.  A perfect packet
application.

Then anyone anywhere at any time could go to the APRN web page
and see the picture within seconds of it having been taken.

The original concept was for the Kenwood handheld SSTV camera
that could transmit images over ANY FM radio to the APRN site.

Again, don't think anyone did it. (We did it manually during
football runs, but after a few years it was a lot of work)...

Bob, WB4APR

http://www.cave.org/aprs/aprn.html

> On a related note, does anyone know if any work was ever done
> with AVS,
> the APRS Vision System?
>
> http://wa8lmf.net/bruninga/vision.html
>
> I'm considering attempting to build this into my APRSISCE/32
client
> since many of the Windows Mobile platforms have a built-in
> camera.  What
> would be cooler than snapping a picture and sending it
> immediately out
> via APRS.  If I do that, I'd also be setting up a web server
that
> monitors APRS-IS for such images and immediately posts them
> for viewing.
>
> Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and
Win32

> Scott Miller wrote:
> > Is APRN still around?  Are there any stations monitoring 2
> meters for
> > SSTV in Southern California?
> >
> > We should have the N1VG-11 balloon payload back next week,
and I'm
> > thinking of grafting a camera onto it and setting it up for
> periodic
> > SSTV transmissions in Robot 36 mode.  It'll only add a few
grams of
> > weight - might stress the transmitter PA a bit, but I think
> it'll be OK.
> >
> > If no one's listening, can someone suggest a good Az/El
rotor and