[aprssig] APRN status?

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Thu Mar 25 20:51:43 EDT 2010

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
> I'd never heard of APRN but found the following 2 links active on the
> web.

APRN  Automatic Picture Reporting Network ---- Transmitting SSTV on a
NON-APRS voice channel and following up the SSTV with a Mic-E position
burst.

> http://www.aprs.org/aprn.html and http://www.cave.org/aprs/aprn.html
>
> On a related note, does anyone know if any work was ever done with
> AVS, the APRS Vision System?
>
> http://wa8lmf.net/bruninga/vision.html

Also my own live APRN server at:

     <http://wa8lmf.net/aprn>

> I'm considering attempting to build this into my APRSISCE/32 client
> since many of the Windows Mobile platforms have a built-in camera.
> What would be cooler than snapping a picture and sending it
> immediately out via APRS.  If I do that, I'd also be setting up a web
> server that monitors APRS-IS for such images and immediately posts
> them for viewing.
You won't get anything resembling a normal SSTV image from the APRS
Vision concept.   The lowest-resolution "normal" color SSTV picture is a
quarter-VGA 320x240 pixel image; i.e. 76,800 pixels at three bytes/pixel
for normal 24-bit JPG color.  About 30-50K of data in digital form.   It
would completely wipe out the normal 144.39 APRS channel.

On the other hand, a normal SSTV application, generating the FM audio
tones used by normal SSTV formats, using the built-in webcam on a
portable device would be really cool. This would be in the spirit of
what I've been trying to do with SSTV:  Send real, live pictures .

Far too much SSTV activity is the endless retransmission of stupid
cartoons and junk pictures harvested off the Internet.   I've been
trying to get people to send REAL pictures of their own activities or
travels instead.

The last device to do this in any practical way was the Kenwood VC-H1
"Interactive Visual Communicator"  dedicated hardware device.   This
unit combined a 1.8" color LCD monitor, a cheap low-quality CCTV camera
similar to an X10 "SpyCam" and an NTSC<-->SSTV scan converter in a
slightly oversized speaker-mic that you could plug into any radio's mic
and speaker connections.    I have used one for years now as my "Mobile
SSTV LiveCAM" connected to the NTSC monitor output of a Canon Powershot
point&shoot digital still camera mounted on the dash of my car.    Pic here:

     <http://wa8lmf.net/mobile>

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

NEW!    Universal HF/VHF/UHF Antenna Mounting System
  http://wa8lmf.net/mobile/UniversalAntMountSystem.htm

  http://wa8lmf.net/DigiPaths

Symbols Set for UI-View,
UIpoint and APRSplus: