[aprssig] Using SSID's outside 0 to 15

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Thu Mar 4 01:37:39 EST 2010

On 3/3/2010 10:30 PM, kai.brandt at hjemme.no wrote:

>> I understand that there is an AX.25 limitation that restricts
>> conventional APRS using 1200 bd AX.25 to SSID's of 0 to 15.
>>

>> If SSID'd outside the 0 - 16 range were to be used regularly would this
>> cause a problem? I know D-Star uses some alphanumeric SSID's over the
>> APRS-IS so am I right in thinking probably not?
>>

>> Chris, G4HYG
>>
> You can use whatever but they are not going to be seen on the RF network unless they are been igated as a "thirdparty" packet.
> But why do you need to use letters/numbers higher than this?
>
> Kai Gunter
> LA3QMA

If this doesn't break anything, I think this would be useful to
distinguish conventional AX25 30-meter packets from PSK63 30-meter
packets on the APRS-IS.   [SSIDs 15 or below - conventional FSK AX25 --
SSIDs higher than this PSK63]

I am now receiving and processing (plotting on map of US and igating)
both with my single 30-meter receiver.  On my UIview "Stations heard"
list, currently you have to look at the destination address and find the
ones going to "APSK63" to identify the PSK63 stations.