[aprssig] Replacement for UI-View any one

Greg D. ko6th_greg at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 22 02:09:36 EST 2010

Hi Lynn,

VMWare is a virtual machine environment; the "player" program is a free download from http://www.vmware.com/products/player.  You can't create virtual machines with it, but you can run ("play") machines that others have made.  So, someone packaged up a Linux virtual machine, complete with a copy of Xastir.  You fire up vmware on your Windows machine, and then load the Xastir/Linux machine inside there, where it runs as if it was running native on its own PC.  Really quite clever.

I actually do the reverse... on my Linux PC I have a little virtual machine where I run Windows, for those few things that can only run there.  Works out great.

Anyway, for a link, I'd start with the Windows link you referenced from the Xastir site.

Good luck,

Greg  KO6TH