[aprssig] Field APRS texting event!

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sun Jan 17 22:54:18 EST 2010

> Where do you find the volunteers for this
> sort of thing?  I find it hard to get folks
> who will use APRS.

Exactly... It was an ongoing traditional local event.  I volunteered to be just one of about 20 voice ops at one of the scout stations maybe 5 or more years ago.  I asked if they wouldnt mind if I reported my scores by APRS.  They rolled their eyes and were not interested.

So I installled a D700 display head on a clip board and put one of the SCORE sheets on it.  I put the D700 in a non-descript box with a battery and asked the net control if he woiuldnt mind at least copying off my message reports when they came in.  He reluctantly said he would give it a go as long as it did nto interfere.

I brought along 3 D7's and actually got two other people in the field to give it a try.  The net control was atypical dedicated volunteer, shows up every year and does it the same way they have been doing it for the last 20 years.  But he was open minded.

At the end to my happiness,  The net control (who spent all day sitting at a picnic table in 20 degree January weather said it was GREAT!  My web page was created back then, because he said the APRS text messages were a blessing because he could write them down at his leisure, and not have to fret on the voice net for our 3 stations.  He was sold.

Then I have done it 3 more times, and each year, more and more operators have shown up with D7's, though less than half each time know how to send a message.  These dedicated volunteers (evry Jan in sub freezing temps) ar not from any one club, just a crosssection of hams with an affinity towards scouting show up).

Year before last, I think we had about 5 APRS HT's and 12 other operators.  Last year I did not show up, and so there was no APRS though the net control had actually gone out and bought his own D700, but was unable to make it work and display properly.

THis year I was determined to get 100% participatin by using DTMF so even the guy with his IC2AT could text message.  But like is happening all across ham radio, there were far fewer volunteers this year, but the 6 that did show up all had APRS radios.  I brought my extras but we didnt even have enough operators to use them.

So the 6 of us did the dozen or so statiosn by roving.  Each one of us had two statiosn that we had to report for.  SO this year, instead of putting the STATION number as the callsign, we left the radios with their owners call, and changed the reporting format to include the  reporting station digits in the message.  Had to do this for DTMF anyway.

SO it really made the job easy.

Once you had entered a message for each of your assigned station, all  you had to do to make the report was edit one of the precious ones for that station and hit send.  The ACK came back from net control immediately, and so you could just edit the next score and so forth.  Usually at each station there was 2 to 3 troops per time period.  So plenty of messages resluted.

But to-a-man, even those that were skeptical about the finger pokes required to send the first message, all agreed that it was a piece of cake and BETTER than voice:

1) Sender could enter the scores at his leisure
2) Then forget about it (after confirming an ack)
3) Net control could receive the scores at his leisure
4) Messages were error free.
5) Voice net was so quiet, some people thought it was errie...

Of course Murphy was there, for example, it took me all morning to get the VX8R working on the golf cart...  Had to go track down another VX8R to show me what I was doing wrong!
Lots of voice traffic there!

And I had to train 3 new operators.  Whenever I heard a voice report come in, I wouild take a hike, visit the station and see if they wouldnt mind trying it next time with a D7.  ALl but one did and loved it.  Oh, and some of them even already had D7's just had never used them for APRS messaging... amazing as it may seem...

So, it just takes a lot of handholding working my way up from the bottom.  And looking for such an application that only needed DIGITS made it easy...

The reason Ham Radio has always been used a tth eKlondike drby is so that the scores are colected in real time so that at the end of the last event period, the totals and winners are immediately know for announcement at the closing ceremony... usually in freezing temps and everyone wanting to get home as soon as possible!

Bob, WbAPR

> I'm going to be visiting the Klondike Derby
> here in the Frederick MD area.  Just as an
> observer to see if ham radio operators can
> help them out in the future.  I'd love to
> do something similar.

Agian, I was lucky since the Hams were already there... I just brought them from the 1960's to at least the 1990s..

So far I was lucky becuase none of the adult scouters thought to suggest that they could do it just as easily without hams by using texting on their their cell phones!

Bob, WB4APR