[aprssig] Clarification on Wide 1 digi characteristic please

Michael Singewald msingewald at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 20:04:23 EST 2010

I am in an area that cannot receive a Wide 2 digi, however, a Wide 1 digi
is.  My question is, if a user's packet is picked up by only another Wide 1
digi, then repeated by a Wide 2 digi that my local Wide 1 digi hears, will
my local Wide 1 digi repeat that packet?

The original packet would be sent via Wide 1-1, Wide 2-1, so the first Wide
1 digi would send the packet as Wide 1*, Wide 2-1, right?

If so, does that mean that the Wide 2 digi would send it as Wide 1*, Wide 2*
and therefore that packet would not get repeated by and other Wide 1 digi's?

I have read a bit at the aprs.org site, but I couldn't figure this one out.
Thanks for any help.