[aprssig] UI-view add-on for RFID?

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Feb 19 13:03:01 EST 2010

> Thanks for finally telling us the callsign
> to look for to see your RFID experiment
> [USNA-1].  I might ... cobble together a
> central server to do what you're after
> unless someone else steps up to the plate
> before me.

This will be  a problem, because having more than one
"conversion" anywhere in the APRS system has always lead to
problems, because even the slightest SINGLE byte difference in
the conversion, ends up generating multiple APRS-IS copies and
dupes and problems.

I only threw up the requirement for a central processor to get
the ball rolling and to find someone to get started.

THE END GOAL is a local central processor that hears the LOCAL
RFID packets and does the conversion LOCALLY to RF.  THen what
gets HEARD on RF, then gets into the APRS-IS via Igates in the
normal fashion.  That is the only way to make sure that there is
a properl one-for-one translation... I think.

> It won't be a UI-View add-on, but a
> central APRS-IS server (because
> that's what I do).

OK, between you and Hessu (APRS.FI) lets see who has time to do
it.
Again, once it is done, and we have local processor code, then I
hink the central processor h as to be shut down.  But I am open
to other ideas.  I don't like dependence on the entire APRS-IS
and a central processor for a very local process (in the long
run)...

> http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=USNA-1

I don't quite understand that APRS.FI is doing with the multiple
repeats of this
in the packet : <0x1b>[D<0x1b>[D<0x1b>[D<0x1b>[D+<0x1b>[+

???
Thanks!
Bob, WB4APR

> Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

> >> It seems to me that you wouldn't need just an
> >> add-on for UI-View, but something to generate
> >> a standard APRS beacon that all APRS clients
> >> would understand.
> >>

> > Yes, that is it exactly.  There only needs to be one of
these in
> > range of any APRS-RFD HotSpot that will then do the callsign
> > association and then send the packet out onto APRS both RF
and
> > internet.  By making it a Uiview add-on, then it is easy to
> > implement anywhere.
> >

> >> Are any "RFID" beacons currently being generated
> >> and sent on RF or otherwise being injected into
> >> the APRS-IS?
> >>

> > Yes, my RFID HotSpot is using the call USNA-1 (the actual
call
> > appears later in the packet).  Each time I go into the lab
door,
> > you will see a packet on our local RF which hopefully is
getting
> > to the APRS-IS.
> >

> >> Also, what translates the raw tag number into
> >> a callsign?
> >>

> > The UI-view add-on or other central processor code.
> >

> >> Then what happens if e.g. my mobile continued to
> >> beacon every hour with the same callsign-SSID
> >> that was associated with the RFID card?  The
> >> concept should work in theory if the same
> >> callsign-SSID is used in both, but if the mobile
> >> continues to beacon, and the RFID card was only
> >> read once, the position would toggle back where
> >> the vehicle was parked.
> >>

> > Good point.  But I think that is an operational problem that
is
> > less than desireable.  Those people who want their tag read,
> > need to remember to turn off their mobile.  Or let it
toggle.
> > On the map, their track hitory will show they left the car,
went
> > inside, and then appear to go back and forth.  But we can
only
> > fix that operationally.. I think.
> >
> > The RFID spec is on: www.aprs.org/aprs-rfid.html
> >
> > Bob, WB4APR
> >

> > ------------------------------------
> >
> > - Please see http://www.apritch.myby.co.uk/uiv32.htm for
> UI-View registration information. Fill in you details and
> then return to collect your registration as directed by the
site.
> > - Precision Mapping version 8 works with UI-View32; the
> necessary additional PMapServer7 is available for download at
> http://www.ui-view.org.
> > - At http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/UIview_Notes.htm, you will find
> useful hints and info for your UI-View set-up and use.
> > - To get an updated APRS server list in UI-View, remove the
default
> > URL and instead enter...
france.aprs2.net/APRServe2.txt
http://f5vag.eu/download2.html