[aprssig] APRS RFID apps? (spec rev2)

Wes Johnston, AI4PX wes at ai4px.com
Thu Feb 11 14:11:12 EST 2010

This is a good point... a local veternarian was complaining about the
diversity of pet tags that could be inplanted in a critter.  He would have
to have a different reader for each brand.  He wasn't a very tecchie guy, so
I have to wonder if we was referring to different brands using different
frequencies.

FWIW, a nearby county was considering an ordinance to RFID tag all pets when
they got rabies shots.  This was to go hand in hand with a leash law.

Wes

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 13:08, Patrick <winston at winston1.net> wrote:

> First off the amusing point..  Remember that pet microchips are RFID tags
> which are I believe are compatible with the readers you are looking at..
>  Finally an easy way to APRS enable your pets.
>
> The one thing which hasn't been discussed, but should be is that there are
> RFID tags which use different protocols even if they are in the same bands..
>  Thus far we've been discussing specific readers and tags from sparkfun,
> however in the bigger world there are people who will try different methods
> and different tags..  There may be frustration from people who try this in
> their local area with materials sourced elsewhere and then arrive at Dayton
> to find that their local materials do not work with the Dayton readers.  You
> should likely add the protocols and frequencies of recommended tags (beyond
> linking to 3rd party site which could end up with completely different
> products if they decide to reline their online store.

> Quoting Bob Bruninga <bruninga at usna.edu>:
>
> Here is a rev2 of the spec based on some good feedback from Wes:

Wes
---
God help those who do not help themselves.