[aprssig] Packet length and effect of TXDelay

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Thu Dec 23 11:09:49 EST 2010

On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 9:35 AM, Ron Stordahl N5IN
<ronn5in-aprssig at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Can someone estimate the length of a typical compressed position packet

A more useful number would be the average length of all packets seen
on your network...

But, since you asked, the first MIC-E packet I saw in my xastir log
file was 50 bytes.  That's not the same length as the over the air
AX.25 packet, but using that as a first order approximation:

50 bytes * 8 bits/byte * 1/(1200 bits/s) * 1000 ms/s = 333.3ms

-Jason
kg4wsv