[aprssig] Packet length and effect of TXDelay

Ron Stordahl N5IN ronn5in-aprssig at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 23 10:35:09 EST 2010

Can someone estimate the length of a typical compressed position packet such as
most mobiles would be sending exclusive of TXDelay and TXTail.  It's the time
between these two elements that I need, in order to determine the significance
of adjusting TXDelay and TXTail.  Typical default values are 300 ms and 50 ms.
Adjustment of the later is usually not offered.

I get reliable operation of our area UIDIGI's with old Motorola Micors at TXD of
100, but I am not sure of the impact upon others users ability to decode, nor am
I sure if the reduction in congestion is all that significant.

Ron, AE5E (ex N5IN)