[aprssig] APRS net book (was SDR)

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Sun Dec 12 20:28:37 EST 2010

On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 11:07 AM, Mark Earle <wa2mct at mearle.com> wrote:

>  On 12/12/2010 10:59 AM, r gilson wrote:
>
>   Has anyone used  a net book for APRS?  How much ram and what program did
> u use?  There are many netbooks out there and need some input before
> investing.  Thanks
> WA2WWK
>
> --- On *Sun, 12/12/10, Matti Aarnio <oh2mqk at sr*
>
>  Yes, I have an Asus E PC 1000HA. 1g ram, 1.6g Atom. Runs UI View,
> APRS+SA, findu and aprsfi in the browser. XP. Good general purpose computer,
> not blazing fast but fine.
>
> 10" screen. I found this at an ebay seller for $240 including shipping.
>
> It runs on 12v  -- 12.000v not 13.8!   The one I bought has the large LI
> battery, it runs for 5 hours or so.
>
> There is no serial port, only 3 usb ports, I've run 2 serial to usb at the
> same time, though. It also runs just fine the AGWPE softare / sound card
> tnc.
>
> Oh -  this one has a 160g HD so plenty of room.
>
> I also have the Asus Eee PC 1000HA - same as above except the stock 1G RAM
stick was swapped with a 2G stick.  Currently I am dual-booting Linux and
the XP Home that it came with.  I have Xastir installed in Linux and
APRSIS32 in Windows XP.  Considering how inexpensive it was, the quality is
still good.  I'm very happy with it with the exception of the location of
the shift key on the right side of the keyboard.

Lee - K5DAT
Murphy, TX