[aprssig] APRS net book (was SDR)

Garrett Sloan Garrett at datplace.com
Sun Dec 12 22:25:38 EST 2010

I'm using a netbook in the truck for APRS on all our balloon flights. On a
usual flight i'm running UI-View32, UI-Route, Balloon Track, APRSIS-32 as
well as google earth and mappoint for maps, and Franson GPS gate & agwpe pro
for gps and tnc sharing on a T2-301, 2nd tnc on a T2 w/ a FT-8500 and third
TNC from a D-710  on a eeepc 1008HA upgraded to 2gb memory on windows 7 home
premium. It ran them all fine at 1gb as well but had a little noticeable
lag.

You don't need a power machine for APRS, its not that cpu intensive
normally. I was running all that on a dell Latitude E6500, but the netbook
is easier to use in the truck I find with a external Bluetooth trackball and
3G wireless access point.

I've dropped my config down to a T2-301 w/ nuvi 350  and OT2 on a Ft-8500
for tnc's, and aprsis32 for my main map, I still run UI-view in the
background only to feed data to balloontrack for predictions, and it's very
responsive, I don't see any difference between this config and the same
hardware on the dell Latitude E6500 w/ 4gb of memory.

Garrett

VE6RKY

Bear.sbszoo.com