[aprssig] Digipeater Question - Unused WIDE2

Tim Cunningham tim_cunningham at charter.net
Tue Apr 6 11:19:01 EDT 2010

> On Mon, 5 Apr 2010, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
>
>> KI4OIU>APU25N,AA4QI-1*,WIDE2:=3012.58N/08135.46W_WWW.JAXSKYWARN.WEBS.COM
>>
>> If this packet is received over RF, and my client is configured as a
>> WIDE2 digi, should it digipeat the packet or not?
>>
>> It seems that the AA4QI-1 digi is doing this consistently.
>
> Should not digi. I think UIDIGI does this - decrementing from WIDE2-1 to
> WIDE2 and not marking it as used. Also, if a WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 packet is
> first converted to DIGI1*,WIDE2-1 by a callsign-substituting fill-in digi,
> a second-hop UIDIGI will digipeat that with a resulting path of
> DIGI1*,WIDE2.

UIDIGI can exhibit this behavior if it is not configured properly. There is
nothing that suggests AA4QI-1 is a UIDIGI as the destination call is set to
APRS in the beacon.

With UITraceCall=WIDE and UITraceOptions=2 on UIDIGI, this will not happen.

If UIFloodCall=WIDE and UIFloodOptions=2 under UIDIGI, the example Lynn
provided would be duplicated by UIDIGI. The previous callsign in the path
would be eliminated, the UIDIGI call would be inserted with the "has been"
digipeated flag", and the WIDE2 would be placed at the end of the path with
no "has been" digipeated flag.

If this is a UIDIGI, then it is certainly misconfigured. Details on proper
UIDIGI configuration can be found at:

http://www.qsl.net/n8deu/uidigi_eprom_settings.htm

73's,
Tim - N8DEU