[aprssig] Digipeater Question - Unused WIDE2

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Apr 6 08:50:45 EDT 2010

> ... have run into a strangely pathed packet.
>
> KI4OIU>APU25N,AA4QI-1*,WIDE2:=3012.58N/08135.46W_...
>
> If this packet is received over RF, and my client
> is configured as a WIDE2 digi, should it digipeat
> the packet or not?

That packet should have a WIDE2*, but since it didn't, it is
from any of several TNC digipeaters that have that small bug.  I
think the older version KPC-3 V2's have that bug as well as some
misconfigured UIDIGI's...

That is why the KPC-3 Version 8.2's have to have WIDE1-1 in
their alias list, because they would otherwise digi them as
WIDE1 with no * and the packet would die there.

> Or should the unused WIDE2 be treated as if
> it were used because the (implied) -SSID is 0?

Yes, ignored. That is, treated as used...

Bob, Wb4APR