[aprssig] Digipeater Question - Unused WIDE2

Tapio Sokura oh2kku at iki.fi
Tue Apr 6 09:41:05 EDT 2010

On 6.4.2010 8:10, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
> Ok, same question but with WIDE1 instead of WIDE2?  If this is done by a
> particular TNC, wouldn't it end up killing the intent of a
> WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 original path if it decremented and retransmitted as
> DIGICA-LL*,WIDE1,WIDE2-1? (DIGICA-LL* is the bogus digi's callsign-SSID
> inserted).

In a word, yes. So I'd recommend to treat any flood/trace alias that has
an ssid of zero "fully digipeated", even if the h-bit is not set
(asterisk not visible in the printed form). It should not be digipeated
anymore, unless a following digipeater field contains something that
triggers a digipeat. If digipeating is triggered by a following field,
then setting the h-bit on all previous digipeater fields should be prudent.

The best fix to this would of course be to fix the UIDIGI firmware. But
the UIDIGI development front has been awfully quiet for several years now.

   Tapio