[aprssig] Use call without SSID?

Pentti Gronlund pentti.gronlund at tut.fi
Fri Sep 25 12:36:19 EDT 2009

Alan P. Biddle writes:

> Locally there has been an explosion of interest in APRS, which is good.
> That has brought the inevitable argument about using SSIDs, and if so, which
> one.  In fact, we already have a budding "SSID Nazi" wanting to dictate.

When you look at the traffic dump from a digi or from an igate, it
helps a lot if you can differentiate stations from the SSID's they
use.

Like -7 is a pedestrian or a cyclist, -8 is a boat, -9 is the car
and so on. The station with no SSID is the home. This is the very
old convention from the days bygone.

Keeping with commonly accepted conventions helps the system keepers.
It also helps you to find your friend on aprs.fi if he has multiple
APRS stations.

Nothing will keep you from making your own conventions, though. After
all, this it the free world most of us are living in.

Benjamin OH3BK
--
		Live Reports from the Taxman's Paradise!