[aprssig] Use call without SSID?

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Fri Sep 25 12:59:30 EDT 2009

Alan WA4SCA wrote...

> Locally there has been an explosion of interest in APRS, which is
> good. That has brought the inevitable argument about using SSIDs, and
> if so, which one...

As has been mentioned by several people, there are no hard and fast
rules for SSIDs. They have no significance as to the symbol displayed.
If you asked for my opinion, I would probably go with no SSID for the
home station, whether it was an IGate or not. WX stations are often -1.
Going back to D7s and D700s, -7 is often used for Kenwood HTs and
mobiles. It could be inferred (but not necessarily correct) that a -7
station might be message capable. Mobiles commonly use -9.  I often
use -2 for a T2-135 and -3 for a T2-301. If I had a VX-8R I would
probably use -8. I use -10 on my laptop, sometimes on RF as well and
usually on TCPIP. That still leaves me 10 SSIDs available.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH