[aprssig] Please, standardize UTF-8 for APRS

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Tue Sep 22 13:14:36 EDT 2009

Keith VE7GDH wrote:
> Stephen WA8LMF wrote...
>
>> However the mailing list post renders the Finnish characters
>> correctly, while the "scand chars" are reproducing as "garbage" here
>> (in a UTF-8-compliant email client). My guess is that somewhere, an
>> email client was set wrong that mangled the header of the Scandinavian
>> string so that it wasn't recognized correctly as UTF-8.
>
> The screenshot should show exactly what I saw in the UI-View message
> window. When I had copied and pasted it into my email posting, I thought
> the "ÅåÖöÄä" looked correct as shown in a recent example on the list
> here. My assumption is that the UTF-8 characters showed up here as
> transmitted, but the font used in the UI-View message window showed
> them as "hieroglyphics".

The font you use for local display shouldn't affect the actual
underlying text.     The UI-view display is to be expected since UI-View
is totally UNAWARE of UTF-8 .

The puzzling thing is what happened when you copied/pasted the orginal
text strings into a (presumably) UTF-aware email client to send to the
TAPR mailing list.     One string in the mailing list post is displayed
correctly while the other ("scand text") isn't.

Since I assume you used the same copy/paste procedure from incoming
messages in the same email inbox  for both  (i.e. same mail client),
this would tend to suggest that one is not "real" UTF-8 .