[aprssig] Please, standardize UTF-8 for APRS

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Tue Sep 22 13:27:56 EDT 2009

Stephen WA8LMF wrote...

> The puzzling thing is what happened when you copied/pasted the
> original text strings into a (presumably) UTF-aware email client to
> send to the TAPR mailing list. One string in the mailing list post is
> displayed correctly while the other ("scand text") isn't.

The email client was MS Outlook Express.

> Since I assume you used the same copy/paste procedure from incoming
> messages in the same email inbox  for both  (i.e. same mail client),
> this would tend to suggest that one is not "real" UTF-8.

Yes, it was done all in one copy and paste. I just selected the all of
the received messages from the UI-View message window and copied them
with a CTL-C and pasted them into my email. I did some minor editing to
remove the character that represented the vertical line and the
bracketed characters to the right. In the following paste, I did no
editing whatsoever.

UTF-8    ³<Ay>1. This message is English ASCII text.
UTF-8    ³<Az>2. This message is English UTF-8 text.
UTF-8    ³<A0>3. Scandinavian/German UTF-8: åäöæø ÅÄÖÆØ ၚ
UTF-8    ³<A1>4. Japanese: 日本語 (3 chars)

 A screenshot of the same thing can be seen at
www.ui-view.org/~files/UTF-8_Messages_Robot.jpg.

Ah... when I hit send on this reply, I was told "message character
conflict" and told it to "send as Unicode"... i.e. UTF-8.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH