[aprssig] Please, standardize UTF-8 for APRS

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Tue Sep 22 13:03:29 EDT 2009

Stephen WA8LMF wrote...

> However the mailing list post renders the Finnish characters
> correctly, while the "scand chars" are reproducing as "garbage" here
> (in a UTF-8-compliant email client). My guess is that somewhere, an
> email client was set wrong that mangled the header of the Scandinavian
> string so that it wasn't recognized correctly as UTF-8.

The screenshot should show exactly what I saw in the UI-View message
window. When I had copied and pasted it into my email posting, I thought
the "ÅåÖöÄä" looked correct as shown in a recent example on the list
here. My assumption is that the UTF-8 characters showed up here as
transmitted, but the font used in the UI-View message window showed
them as "hieroglyphics".

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH