[aprssig] Airborne Digis

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Mon Sep 14 18:11:20 EDT 2009

Robert Bruninga wrote:
> I may have not thoroughly thought this through, but my initial
> reaction is:
>
> 1) Make the digi be a WIDE1-1 digi.  It will help where it can,
> and it will not add much QRM.
>
> 2) BUT, The digi at altitude will have solid QRM on the input on
> 144.39, and although it can hear the weak SAR units udner it,
> the chance that those will be clobbered by 200 mile away digis
> on 144.39 is too high to make it worthwhile.

Not to mention, that in Califonia, at least, the 144.39 activity
absolutely continous and non-stop. Even on the ground in the coastal
areas, you NEVER hear more than 3 seconds or so of dead air.   I suspect
that at altitude, the traffic on 144.39 will be absolutely continuous
with no break ever.

I suspect that even if the SAR trackers are able to capture the aerial
digi's receiver, the thing will NEVER TRANSMIT since it's receiver
squelch will never close!

Even on yesterday's K6RPT balloon launch, people were observing that the
UHF simplex voice repeater had problems with activity all over the state
on 446.5 so it wouldn't transmit.