[aprssig] ATV on APRS

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 09:55:37 EDT 2009

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 8:04 AM, Robert Bruninga <bruninga at usna.edu> wrote:

> The map needs to have a LATENCY setting, so I can select
> 30 minutes and see only those heard in 30 minutes, and so forth.

This is a function of your APRS client, not the network.  The network
moves data; the client decides what to do with it.

I know xastir is configurable for how long a station remains on the
display after being heard; I would expect this to be a basic feature
of all APRS clients.

> Further, NO AUTOMATIC injection.  This way we know that  a
> station seen on the map is actually there and operational..

I would argue that automatic is far superior to manual, assuming it's
done correctly.  E.g., the control signal that powers up the ATV
transmitter also initiates APRS beaconing.  A pie-in-the-sky rig would
know about the ATV frequency and update the ARPS comment with the ATV
frequency automatically.  Once ATV TX stops, so does APRS beaconing.

-Jason
kg4wsv