[aprssig] Airborne Digis

Gregory A. Carter gcarter at openaprs.net
Mon Sep 14 12:07:50 EDT 2009

Hello All,

For search and rescue use I'm trying to setup and implement an Airborne
capable digi that will not cause interference but will respond to our
trackers out in the field in remote uncovered (by digis) areas and get them
into the APRS and APRS-IS network along with our local monitoring machines.
As a result I'd love to hear input from anyone here who has experience in
this situation.

The problem that I can see is that I want our trackers to be able to use
WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 as the first digi hops so they are compatible with the
existing network (specially if they are not complimented by our airborne
digi) but I don't want the airborne digi slammed or slamming the APRS RF
network.

My thoughts were perhaps to set WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,SAR1-1 and turning on
preempting on our airborne digi setting it to only digi on SAR1-1.  My
question here is, if the airborne digi preempts, hitting on SAR1-1 what
happens on the RF network with the WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1, will they be skipped or
will they be processed?

DISCLAIMER:  I am not looking for a debate on whether or not an airborne
digi should be used, I'm just looking for an honest reply to my questions or
suggestion on how to make it work with the least amount of negative impact
on the RF network.

Thanks!

Greg

NV6G