[aprssig] TM-D700 gps connector mod

Dave Baxter dave at uk-ar.co.uk
Thu Oct 1 09:54:06 EDT 2009

Hi...

Chances are like I found in the past, many of the "consumer grade" 2.5mm
plugs, are too small to make a reliable connection in any 2.5mm jack.
It's as much a problem for D7 users, as anything.

Pro:	Nice mod, much better connection than whatever you do with a
mini jack plug, 2.5 or 3.5mm.

Con:	Pin's 1 & 9, Hmmmmm.   Hope nothing clashes when a PC is
connected with a 9 way straight cable, and something bangs heads, if
that would happen?   Kenwood's serial drivers have not exactly been
proved particularly rugged in the past.   Please mark up the back of
your radio, so (if you sell or loan it) people will know it's been
mod'd.   Even to remind you, some years from now.

In the "Olden" days, with D25 connectors, there was a secondary
communication channel specified, as well as the "normal" one we all
know.   Anyone with a Tek datacoms analyzer will know the pins that use.
HD15 connectors anybody?  (15 pins in the same form factor as a D9,
commonly used for VGA on the back of PC's.)

73

Dave G0WBX.