[aprssig] UIDIGI Setup

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Thu Nov 5 02:02:57 EST 2009

Ed KF4CHG wrote...

> I wanted to avoid using UI-View32 objects at all cost. According to
> Bob, WB4APR it is not recommended to use software driven programs
> for creating info type objects and to let the digipeaters handle this
> function.

At all costs??? With no disrespect meant to Bob, I would take most
things he says about UI-View with a grain of salt. He isn't a UI-View
user. I spent quite a few hours debunking most of what he said about
UI-View and objects about a year or two back. UI-View does just fine
generating objects. They go out using the path in the station setup. Set
it to no path and the objects go out with no path. Set it to one hop and
they go out set one hop... well, you get the picture. The beacon rate is
set in the "miscellaneous" setup. If you have a bunch of them, they are
spaced out and not all sent out together.

Let's say you want to generate a "repeater" object and send it out
direct from a digi every 10 minutes. UI-View can do that. What it can't
do is do something like sending it out every ten minutes direct but once
each hour with a one hop path. If UI-View is installed at the location
you want to send out an object, and you can live with the path set in
the station setup, and can enter the beacon rate desired, then do it.
If it's in the wrong location, get something else to send it out. If
there's a digi that can send out the object you want to generate, then
why not? If you don't have a digi at your disposal and UI-View is
the right tool and in the right place, then why not?

In my opinion, a digi is not the right tool to generate an object for an
IRLP or EchoIRLP node. It would be a static and unchanging object.
The APRS status script running right on the node would be live and
up-to-the-minute, indicating the status (connected to, idle, disabled
etc.) as well as the frequency. An IGate or other station should gate
it to RF where it can be useful to mobile stations, either direct or
with one hop as appropriate. It should be located close to the node.
Sending it from a digi is second best, but better than nothing.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH