[aprssig] WIDEn-N question

Frank or Barbara Rossi n3flr at bellatlantic.net
Wed Nov 4 01:25:17 EST 2009

In Western PA  I encourage DIGI operators to not to respond to WIDE3 or
higher.
The WIDE3 DIGI by rights should be a long haul DIGI, maybe connecting
cities on 2 sides of a Mountain.
That may be useful in the remote wide open spaces from a mountain top,
but in WPA it is not necessary.

I also encourage the Big DIGI's not to respond to WIDE1, because they
will pick up the WIDE2.
Responding to both, the Big DIGI transmits twice.

I also encourage Fill In DIGI to just respond to WIDE1-1.

I recommend WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2 for mobiles in WPA.
For the amount of APRS traffic and the terrain of this area, those work
fine.
Around here you don't want your packets to go more than 50 60 miles.
3 total hops in all directions around here will get you into 2 or 3 I-GATES.

 From Westmoreland County Pa I should not see any packets from Ohio or
Maryland.
I will see some West Virgina.
N3FLR - Frank