[aprssig] WIDEn-N question

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Tue Nov 3 13:24:00 EST 2009

Steve Noskowicz wrote:
> NO?

No.  At least, not how I understand it.  The n in WIDEn-N tells what
level of Digi should be triggered by that path component.  The N says
how many hops of that type of digi you want the packet to traverse.

WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 says to first digi via a fill-in and then do at most one
more hop via the higher WIDE2 digis.  This is the "recommended" setting
for most areas of the United States and other places.

WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2 says the same thing but to take up to 2 hops via the
higher WIDE2 digis.  This is useful if you'll be driving out in the
boondocks where the IGates may be fewer and further between.

Fill-in (local) digis are supposed to be configured to only digi on a
WIDE1 that has not been consumed.  For instance, a WIDE1-1, but NOT a
WIDE1*.

Higher digis are configured to act on WIDE1 as well as WIDE2, WIDE3, and
sometimes higher n values.  However, some digis will truncate higher
values of n to 2 or 3 and other digis will completely ignore any values
higher than 3.

If you want to infer how many hops were originally requested, you're own
your own.  If you want to count how many hops a packet took, you can
guess by counting the digi call signs prior to the path marked used, but
not all digis insert their calls, so again, you're still guessing.

In other words, the path is for the packet originator to make a request
of the network, but the network doesn't have to honor that path and
(unfortunately) doesn't always even trace what actions were taken on the
packet's behalf.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Just my understanding, let's see how I did....