[aprssig] Newbie Path Question

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Sun May 17 08:54:20 EDT 2009

The idea behind RELAY stems from back in the days when APRS was young;
users and digis were well spread out. Every home station was
encouraged to respond to RELAY (as well as digis), and low power
mobiles used RELAY as the first call in the path. This gave the best
chance for someone hearing a low power mobile and repeating it into
the digi network. As users and the network filled in, this generated
multiple copies of the packet and caused QRM.

Many people still use old software, and many of those old programs
configure a TNC to respond to RELAY automatically. This is most likely
the source of what you are seeing. In other words, it is not a digi
that is responding to RELAY, but a home station. When no one is
transmitting with RELAY in the path this causes absolutely no harm and
there is no need to chase down the guy. On the other hand, home
stations changing to respond to current digi paths like WIDE1-1 can
cause problems, so proceed with caution. If you really want to figure
out who is doing this, set your path to RELAY, plug in a dummy load,
and drive to each station on the map. One will hear you and repeat the
RELAY packet.

Steve K4HG