[aprssig] Appalachian Trail Golden Packet Event update(3)

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu May 7 15:29:14 EDT 2009

Need Boots on the ground in SW Virginia!

We are abandoning Sand Mountain in Wythville because its been a
month, and noone has been able to make contact with the rumored
KW4FM-3 APRS digi there.  It does not show up on the APRS-IS
either.  Probably is an obsolete WIDE not getting out, nor
serving anyone.  Would sure like to have boots on the ground
confrim it.

Also Sand Mountain accecss road is limited access and the site
has high QRM.  Have now found a great site (flying around in
Google Earth) nearby with a public road along a ridge.  A
drive-up site for sure... (but need local experience to
confirm).  Please see the new web page for Comers Rock:
www.aprs.org/hamtrails/comers-rock.html

More volunteers needed.  See www.aprs.org/at-golden-packet.html

Bob, WB4APR