[aprssig] RF Ray Tracing for digipeater Planning

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Mar 27 22:43:14 EDT 2009

I have stumbled on the use of Google Earth (free) for
visualizing RF paths from peaks to peaks for this Appalachian
Trail project, and it is fantastic!  Anyone can do this, so I
wrote up my little how-to guide:

www.aprs.org/hamtrails/aprsGoogleEarth.txt

I know there are experts on here that are much more experienced
than I, because I remember seeing other people making posts
about even adding APRS positions to Google Earth.  If anyone can
fill us in, or wake me up to any other APRS tools that will
display APRS activity on these "flyable" Google Earth 3D views,
I am all ears!

The AT trail project now has snapshots of lots of these views,
but they are nothing like running Google Earth yourself and
flying around and zooming in anywhere on the planet you want to
be from any perspective at any height in any direction...

See www.aprs.org/at-olden-packet.html

Thanks
Bob, WB4APR