[aprssig] Using D710 Display head as stand-alone APRS

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Mar 27 18:14:47 EDT 2009

If you plan on using your TM-D710 display head as a stand-alone
APRS display system plugged into any other radio or HT, I have
learned that models prior to version 2.00 do not have the little
tiny-beeper audio device, and so they will not beep on incoming
packets.  Although the Display head will do full APRS in all
other respects.

But after TM-D710 version 2.00, then the RC-D710 (stand along
display head) and the TM-D710 display head are identical and
either one can be used with any other radio for APRS and you
will hear the approbriate beeps...

Unfortunately, adding a tiny beeper is more than just connecting
a tiny speaker.  I think there are about 20 SMD parts in the
vicinity...  Though someone might be able to fiture that out...
And make a kit?

Bob, Wb4APR