[aprssig] KC2TUA/KC2UFG Ballon QRM

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Sun Mar 22 16:10:34 EDT 2009

Ron VE1AIC wrote...

> At 30,0000 ft its range is extreme...easily QRM'ing a 2m repeater 185
> miles away.

Sorry Bob... it wasn't "just" a 3 hour flight. KC2TUA-8 was at about
75,000 feet about 24 hours ago and that obviously wasn't the beginning
of the flight. While looking at a log file for that station, did
anyone happen to notice the incredible number of delayed reports from
this it? It would take some sleuthing by someone right there to see
where the delays were coming from, and "there" means anywhere out to the
horizon of the balloon at the time. Over that 24 hours, there were
something like 2500 beacons or so. That's well over one per minute over
that 24 hour period, and that's just the ones that made it to an IGate
in the last 24 hours and that weren't thrown out because they were
dupes... which would also have been incredibly high. At least on TCPIP,
they can't do any harm. I'll have to see if I can go back even further
to see where it started out. Yeah, some of those 2500 beacons will be
dupes, but that's still a lot of beacons.

Holding at about 9700 M ASL and will be over Newfoundland in less
than hour. Is the payload painted white? Watch out for the sealers if it
comes down!

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH