[aprssig] KC2TUA/KC2UFG Ballon QRM

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Sun Mar 22 16:24:36 EDT 2009

Ron VE1AIC wrote...

> I respectfully disagree that the effect of these transmissions was
> either minimal or short-lived.

You've got that right!

> Does anyone know why there is a different callsign on the APRS beacon
> vs the 2m packet telemetry?

There must have been multiple payloads. The "telemetry" one doesn't
appear to be APRS.

> I am very disappointed that people planning such extended balloon
> expeditions do not take these things into consideration...

We do seem to see these kinds of events over and over again. Sometimes
it is "non hams" involved in the project along with the hams and neither
seem to understand the implications or know any better. I suspect that a
lot of people involved in the ones that really catch our attention just
aren't on lists like the APRS SIG and others that could give them a
hand. Hopefully someone can get in touch with KC2TUA or someone else
involved with this flight and give them a hand so things can be "better"
next time around. Hmmm... do the commercial airlines fly about 30,000
feet these days or are they going a bit higher? Maybe some lucky
passenger can get a close-up in the viewfinder as they whiz by. I see
it's hitting an IGate direct about 250 km from its location without the
benefit of any digis... which will of course also be triggered.
Newfoundland - here we come!!!

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH